Last Wednesday was the big day! In retrospect I can't believe I did it. Tuesday I had to do a colon prep (no fun!). Then Wednesday my dear sweet husband woke up at 5:00 am and drove me to Banner Desert in Mesa for my Robotic Myomectomy. He skipped school and studied the whole day at the hospital for a huge Anatomy test he had the next day.
We got to the hospital at 6:30 to check in for my surgery scheduled for 8:30. The hospital staff was great and within one hour I was ready and waiting in pre-op for my doctors to show. I do have to mention the high tech hospital gown that gets connected to an air pump and either blows cold or hot air to make you feel more comfy. Even though I was nice and toasty with my heated hospital gown, I had an hour to just sit and stew over my fast approaching surgery. I began to freak out and started tearing up. I knew everything was going to be ok, but it was still so scary. David was right by my side and a big comfort.
At about 8:20, Dr. Wilson (who I just adore!) shows up and is super excited over the new sutures the hospital was able to get him. The sutures would take a whole hour of time off my surgery. After I met the Anesthesiologist, they wheeled me back into the surgical room. It was a huge and cold room and I could see the robot in the corner . I guess the Anesthesiologist put something in my IV because I was OUT quick!
My surgery took a little over four hours. Dr. Wilson was at a console controlling the robot arms kind of like a video game. I have five small incisions in my abdomen that they sealed up with Dermabond (aka skin superglue).
The next thing I VAGUELY remember was Dr. Wilson telling me everything went ok and then vomiting. Seriously this part felt like a dream and the only reason why I know it really happened is because it was in the nurses report. While I was in recovery Dr. Wilson went and found David and told him everything went as planned and I was ok. He also said that Freddy was not bouncy like most fibroids, but was mushy (whatever that means). I was in recovery for about four hours, it was fine with me because I was sooo out of it.
Then they wheeled me up to my personal, huge and heavenly room. My mom brought Liliana who just wanted to lay on top of me and cuddle. It was like she knew I was hurting or something. Then I showed her how the buttons made the bed go up and down and it quickly became her new obsession. David was able to spend the night at the hospital with me and my mom stayed at our place with Liliana. That night I was up and walking thanks to Morphine!
The following day David left around 9am to prepare for his Anatomy test. My mom came with Liliana to pick me up. My recovery has been pretty amazing. During surgery they had to pump my abdomen up with gas to make room for the instruments. After they finished, they let the gas out, but some stays and travels up to your shoulders and that is just as painful as the incisions. However, the worst of it is over and I'm healing quickly.
My first night at home someone bangs on our window and door at midnight. We called the police and they didn't find anyone. We were all pretty freaked out though. This also happened our first night after moving here last July. Go figure!?
It's been nice having my mom here taking care of Liliana. It's cute because they wear each other out and have to take naps at the same time. I love it.
I'm not sure if it's the Vicodin or not, but for the first time in over a year I woke up with NO back pain! That alone made this surgery worth it. Thanks to Dr. Wilson....FREDDY IS GONE!!!!!






Yay, yay, yay!! So glad everything went well and Freddy is gone. I hope your back pain is gone forever and it's not just your happy pills. :)
ReplyDeleteGlad it is over with! I hate those scary feelings right before you go into the operating room. I am so glad that you have a doctor you love, that is everything. I am also so glad you had your mom there to help. Mom's are the best. Glad Freddy is gone!
ReplyDeleteCongrats to you, your family and your dr. So happy everything went well. Hope your health continues to get better!!
ReplyDelete